Skip to main content

Be Selective About Finishing What You Start

 Did you ever wake from a dream and think "aww, we were having a good conversation?"

I'm chatting with a stranger in his own house. I'm there to visit a housemate who I haven't yet seen, apparently one of a dozen. This stranger has asked me "'Something Something' or 'The Prodigy of blah blah', which would you read?"

"I've never heard of either, so I'd just be choosing based on the title".

"Ok."

"'The Prodigy of blah blah' then."

"No, it's not 'The Prodigy of blah blah', it's 'The Pehidety of blah blah'." I have no idea what he's saying.

"Could you write them both down? That'd make this easier."

He picks up a Britta pitcher and a Sharpie and begins writing. There's already marker smeared across the sides. He stops, looks at what he's written a moment, then rubs it with the side of his hand, smearing whatever he'd written to illegibility.

"Do you ever stare at your options so long that you miss out on doing any of them?"

"You know, you could just start both, and if one grabs you, put down the other until you finish the first. When you're done you can go back to the one you put down and decide whether you want to finish it or not."

He doesn't respond. Is he listening?

"You don't even need to pay to do this. Just get them both from the library."

He's staring at his gray smeared water pitcher, deep in thought, like some idea is gathering on the tip of his tongue when I wake up. I think, "We were having a good conversation. Shame to interrupt it." But there's no we, of course. Just my sleep addled mind babbling to itself.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking

I was cooking dinner. I was with someone who resembled no one I knew but who I understood to be my girlfriend. We were cooking in this marvelous fridge/oven/grill contraption. We would throw something we'd want to cook on the top, it would cook, and after a little while we'd collect it from the bottom. It'd come out cooked as if it'd been fried on a skillet. We started with sausages. After I put some sausages in and took them out of the bottom a few minutes later, I worried that it wouldn't cook what we wanted to cook or that it wouldn't keep the other food cold. But it did work just fine, so we kept on cooking. My brother walked in and dropped a bunch of vegetables in the top, then wandered off. Which reminded me that I wanted something other than sausage, and fried vegetables seemed good. So I went off and got some more vegetables from the basement and laid them out at the top. I wanted eggs too, so I took some out of the fridge, cracked them open, and poured

How Do You Know You're Dreaming?

This afternoon, I had two dreams where I figured out I was dreaming. In the first one I was hanging out with this internet stranger named Lauren I've been chatting with. We were out on the porch with someone else, but I don't remember who. In my mind I was marvelling at how different Lauren looked in person from the pictures I've seen of her. Then I move to the rail on the porch and lean over holding my hands out. That's when I noticed my nails were painted. I told Lauren that I was dreaming. She either asked how I knew or what I was going to do about it, and as I jumped off the porch and into the front yard, I told her. I knew I was dreaming because my nails were painted, but I was sure I hadn't painted them in a week or more. I hadn't painted them the color they were in my dream in months. And I was planning on poking around and taking control, which is what I did. First I kneeled down and started poking the concrete. It was soft and bent in, like it was made